What can we learn from Chinese entrepreneurs?
China is home to some of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs and companies. Yet, much of the management thinking and practices we use comes from Western companies.
This episode fills this gap by delving into what it takes for companies to thrive in this dynamic, unpredictable, and hyper-competitive market. Aldo and Sandrine share their collective experience of 60 years of working and living in China, outlining tactics strategic leaders can master, whether operating in China or elsewhere.
They discuss the importance of adaptability, customer focus, data, and having a hunger to succeed. They also reveal the mistakes companies make that lead to failure, especially Western companies looking to enter the Chinese market.
“In the West a thinker is highly revered. In China an observer is highly revered.” – Aldo Spaanjaars
You'll hear about:
· Why was the book called Dragon Tactics?
· Company success stories in the Chinese market
· Sources of systemic failure in Chinese markets
· The biggest business myths
· The emperor decides but agility rules
· Transformational vs incremental innovation
· Is there results-driven ruthlessness in China?
· Who should we learn from in China?
· The biggest disagreement when writing Dragon Tactics
· How to go from OK to great in China
· The biggest gift of working in China
About Sandrine Zerbib & Aldo Spaanjaars:
Sandrine is the President of Baozun Brand Management and the President of Baozun Europe. Previously she was President of Adidas Greater China and the CEO of Chinese Group Dongxiang and created her own e-commerce operation industry, which was acquired by Baozun.
Aldo manages his own China advisory firm, Dragon Strategies. Until end 2022 Aldo was Executive Vice President, Outdoor at Anta Sports, China’s #1 domestic sportswear company.
Over his 25-year career in China, Aldo also held senior leadership roles at Fosun Fashion Group, Lacoste, Adidas Greater China, and J.Walter Thompson.
Sandrine’s LinkedIn - linkedin.com/in/sandrine-zerbib
Aldo’s LinkedIn - http://linkedin.com/in/aldospaanjaars
Read their book ‘Dragon tactics’: https://www.dragontactics.com/
Sign up to my Strategic Leader newsletter (http://bit.ly/36WRpri) for stimuli, ideas, guidance and tips on how to lead your team, organisation or self more effectively, delivered straight to your inbox:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel (http://bit.ly/3cFGk1k) where you can watch the conversation.
Take the Extraordinary Essentials test (https://bit.ly/3EhSKY5) to identify your strengths and development areas as a strategic leader:
For more details about me:
● Services (https://bit.ly/373jctk) to CEOs, entrepreneurs and professionals
● About me (https://bit.ly/3LFsfiO) - my background, experience and philosophy
● Examples of my writing (https://bit.ly/3O7jkc7)
● Follow me and engage with me on LinkedIn (https://bit.ly/2Z2PexP)
● Follow me and engage with me on Twitter (https://bit.ly/36XavNI)